Plantation House was built on St Helena in 1792 as a country residence for the Governor of the Honorable East India Company.
The House is now the seat of the Governor of St Helena and its two dependencies, the Islands of Ascension and Tristan da Cunha.
Plantation House is a stone built Georgian house with large symmetrical windows and an entrance porch. The house has 35 rooms, many of them are very large and connected by passages with archways. There is a large front hall, dining room and drawing room. The house has three staircases, the main one and two back ones. Upstairs is spacious enough to include a private bedroom, dressing-room, bathroom accommodation and two sitting-rooms for the Governor. Downstairs houses the playroom, formally the billard-room, but the billard table, once Napoleon’s, was returned to Longwood in 1934. These rooms are connected by the kitchen and staff quarters. The Governor’s Room is now in the west wing of the house, but at one time, certainly in the middle of the last century the Governor used the large room in the east wing, now called the General’s Room.